Saturday, November 24, 2012

Hey, a timely post from me about a festival or event happening in Indianapolis.  Finally!  Last night as everyone living in Indianapolis knows was the Circle of Lights festival, or as it could be known, turning the lights on the Monument Circle.

This event has grown from a small ceremony of initially lasting a few minutes to something now that lasts over an hour and is broadcast live on WRTV 6.  The event annually draws over 100,000 people every year to watch the live performances and to witness the lighting of Monument Circle.  A small fireworks show is also included once the lights are lit.

Last night was the 50th anniversary of the lighting ceremony and for most of the day I couldn't decide if I wanted to photograph the event or not.  I was downtown last year, but chose a wrong spot on the west side of Monument Circle and didn't get any good shots of the fireworks and the lights in the same picture.  I wanted to have better results this year.

I arrived early, but not early enough for a spot on the southside of the circle, maybe next year? I don't know.  I did manage to get a spot that would put the fireworks and Monument Circle in the same shot.  Other than constantly having to readjust my tripod after getting bumped by person after person (doesn't anybody look where they are walking anymore?), it was a relatively short hour wait until the circle was lit and the fireworks started.

Here are a couple of pictures that I shot this year:



Both were made using a Canon EOS 30d.  The lens I used was a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8  I used Bulb mode, had the aperture set to f11 and the ISO was at 200.

I think this area might be a good location for the July 4th fireworks display next year. That is if I can get over my annual disappointment of the Indianapolis fireworks display.  On a completely unrelated topic, if you want to see a spectacular fireworks display, go the Thunder over Louisville event or go west to Heritage Lake and see their displays. I shot both events this year and they are both excellent displays.

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment