Saturday, February 11, 2012

Weight loss and a new T-72 to build

Recently while looking through reference pictures from Ft. Knox for a future Iraqi T-72 build, I came across pictures of myself from several years ago.  I was quite surprised at what I saw of myself in the pictures. During the past year and a half I have been dieting and exercising.  When I looked at the pictures, I was shocked at how heavy I was just a few years ago.  My face was so much rounder and I looked like the marshmallow man.

Seeing those pictures made me realize how lazy I had been and how much I had overeaten.  I'm very thankful that I changed my eating habits (at least for breakfast and lunch) and started walking during lunch instead of eating.  These changes have resulted in a significant weight loss and the need to buy smaller clothes, which has made me very happy.

I'm looking forward to the spring and return of warm weather so I continue my walks outside instead of in the stairs of the Farm Bureau building where I work. The stairs have been good to me, but I miss being outdoors and the people watching that comes with walking downtown in Indianapolis.  I am hopeful that this time next year I will be posting again about my successful diet and being in better shape.  It has been a long fight, but I am feeling much better about myself.

So, back to the idea of an Iraqi T-72.  I plan on building a derelict and captured T-72 as were seen in the storage areas of Ft. Knox.  Since the base realignment commission forced the movement of most of the armor at the Ft. Knox museum and in the storage areas, I don't think this particular T-72 is still on the base.  Despite this, I do have plenty of good reference pictures of this T-72 that I want to build.

The T-72 in the storage area was captured in either Iraq or Kuwait during Operation Desert Storm.  This particular tank still has U.S. Army unit markings and is missing most of its exterior equipment.  I have wanted base a model on this particular tank for a number of years and have never really been motivated to correct the errors in the glacis plate of the Tamiya upper hull.  Thankfully, both Miniarm and SP Designs have released resin update sets that will correct the errors in the Tamiya kit.   I plan on also using the Tamiya or Eduard photo etch engine deck screens and possibly an aftermarket barrel.

I need to simulate an asphalt or concrete base for the finished model.  There was an aftermarket base available a few years ago, I just don't remember the manufacturer.  I think it was Verlinden or maybe Trakz. If I can't find it, I'll have to look into building it.  It's going to be a derelict model and a lot of fun.  I can't wait to get it started.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment