Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Super Bowl 46 update

 It's been a busy several days since my last update and I finally have some time to sit down and write a new post. It is only a few days until Super Bowl 46 here in Indianapolis and I have been enjoying as much of the festivities as possible.  Adding to the fun has been the incredibly good weather.  We've had a few cold days, but nothing remotely resembling our usual February weather.  I hope it holds out until after the Super Bowl.

Last week I went on a tour of Lucas Oil stadium with my girlfriend. We visited the press box, the Quarterback suite, both team locker rooms and we also visited the stadium field.  It was a very enjoyable tour and the tour guide was very helpful and knowledgeable.  This was my second visit to the stadium and it was very strange to see the field scrubbed bare of any Colts logos.  The workers were srubbing away the last of the endzone logos as we entered the field.  I'll post a a few pictures below this post.

Last week was also the start of my volunteer shifts at the NFL Experience at the convention center.  I wasn't sure what to expect with regards to people and the work I would be doing.   Friiday night was my first shift and thousands of people turned out for opening night on Super Bowl village and for opening night of the Experience.  We had so many volunteers turn out that they had to find places for us to work.  I ended up pointing people to the coat check room and to the exit on the second floor. Glamorous it wasn't, but I had a good time. 

My next shift was on Saturday and I was put in the Rush zone, aka, the children's play area.  Ugh, I had to chase footballs, try to avoid getting hit (I wasn't successful) and spent the evening running and bending over to pick up Nerf footballs.  Needless to say my lower back was killing me by the end of the night and I vowed not to do that on Sunday. On Sunday my girlfriend and I worked together in the autograph zone and we basically worked as line control while the Colts cheerleaders signed autographs.  This was by far my best and shortest shift.  I was glad for the easy shift after the exhaustive night in the childrens zone.

After our shift was over we wondered around the Experience and eventually found ourselves downtown in the Super Bowl village.  While waiting for the Dierks Bentley concert to start, we went to Monument Circle and saw the Super Bowl 46 Roman numerals and the Indy Cars painted with all NFL team logos.  I was able to make a few good pictures, but it was tough setting up my tripod.  I ended up ditching the tripod and just cranked up the ISO. 

After leaving the circle, we went to the concert and stayed for a few songs, but due to the large number of obnoxious drunks and jerks, we left for home. Getting pushed around by people trying to get into a bar or trying to find a better spot was very trying on our patience.  The sound of the show was good and we could see the stage, but it just wasn't worth putting up with the jerks on Saturday.

Today was Media Day at Lucas Oil and that will fill up another post.  Let's just say I nearly filled up my CF card with pictures.  The NFL really did a great job of supporting the fans attending the event today.  Gotta love freebies (and good ones at that!)

How about a few pictures?


A view from the south end zone.  Strange to see all of the Colts logos gone from the field



The Colts team locker room.  This is where the Patriots will be staying.



The Super Bowl 46 Roman numerals on Monument Circle.  Each numeral is 35 feet tall.  The NFL also broadcasts a video of Super Bowl highlights on the numerals.


The Indy cars with each NFL teams logo on them.  Quite impressive view at night.

All in all it has been a fun and exciting week so far.   Still remaining to post are the photos from Media Day.  Care to lend a hand?  Haha 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment