Thursday, August 18, 2011

Long exposures in the midway

It is that time of year again in Indiana. And by that, I mean it is time for the State Fair!  I was fortunate enough to visit the fair a couple of times this year and had the opportunity to photograph some of the midway rides.  Unfortunately, more games, food stands and rides were packed into the midway area, making for a much tighter and confined space which took away a lot of the good vantage points for photographing the rides, unlike last year.  I was able to get three really good shots this year and I've posted those pictures below:


This is probably my favorite picture from the fair this year.  Not only was the swing set ride (YOYO) moving in the foreground, the ride in the background also started in motion. The colors in the game booths in the right of the picture also stand out very nicely.   I was really happy to see both rides in motion at the same time as I had waited a long time hoping to see both in action.  The rain and sparse crowds in the midway area had a lot to do with the minimal activity on the rides this night.  The black band that is present around the YoYo ride is the riders themselves in their swings.  I like the look of the rides against the blue sky just after sunset.  This settings for this shot are ISO 100,  f22 and a 6 second exposure. 



This is a closeup shot of the same Yoyo ride.  I was backed up against the bumper cars and had the lens as wide open as was possible. I was fortunate to not have people walking through the frame during this exposure and the picture turned out quite nicely as result. Sometimes the "ghost" images of people are quite useful and look good in some of the long exposure pictures I have done at the state fair, but for this one I'm glad I have a clean image. The settings for this shot are ISO 100, f22 and an 18 second exposure.


This ride is know as "Fireball" and this is so much better than the pictures I took of this same ride last year at the fair.  I was fortunate with this picture that the trucks and generators that cluttered my pictures of this ride last year from about this same view point were gone from the area this year.  I was able to get fairly close to the ride and made this wonderfully uncluttered picture of the ride.  This ride seemed to be very popular and it wasn't long before it was up and spinning and as a result, I have several good shots of this ride.  The settings for this ride were ISO 100, f22 and a 15 second exposure.

All in all, I had a good time shooting these rides at the fair.  The surroundings made for some tight angles and different compositions, but hey, I can't have it my way all the time when I am photographing, so in the end, I did the best I could and came up with some good pictures.  I had a lot of long stares and questions about what I was doing there, sitting on the ground looking up at these rides through a camera.  Most people liked what they saw when I showed them my results, while some people just shook their shoulders and moved on.  I guess they just couldn't understand the addiction of long exposure photography and moving lights!

If I can get motivated, I'll post a few more pictures from the fair this week. 












No comments:

Post a Comment