Sunday, April 8, 2012

After a long layoff I dragged my rear end out last night with a coworker and my camera for some night photography.  My coworker was new to night photography and had only recently bought a dSLR.  He wasn't happy with his previous attempts at night and long exposure photography and wanted to learn more about both.    
Last night was also his first time shooting in manual mode.

We started out on the canal in downtown Indianapolis for some basic shots of the city skyline and of the canal itself.  My friend was hesitant at first to shoot in manual mode but after a few shots and then seeing the difference in his pictures, he was hooked.  We later moved down to the canal and made several shots of the Congressional Medal of Honor memorial and from there we walked over to Monument Circle.

At the Circle, I showed him the basics of how to shoot car trails. Unfortunately the traffic wasn't moving quick enough for good light trails, but he was very happy with his results.  At this point we were both getting tired and my feet were starting to protest (we had done a lot of walking) so we started to head back his car.

We stopped along Virginia avenue to shoot some additional light trails.  This is a good location to due several intersections meeting in this spot.  I made a few long exposure photographs including a 64 second exposure that really made me happy.  After looking at it, I do wish I had went up a floor or two in the parking garage that was above us and shot from that angle.  I've made several shots of the city skyline from the top floor of that garage but haven't done any light trail shooting yet.  It is a good location so I know I will be making a return visit sometime soon.

Anyway, on to the photos,

The first picture is of the Congressional Medal of Honor Memorial along the canal in downtown Indianapolis.  I've made several pictures of this memorial in the past, but for this photograph, I made some changes in post processing.  The memorial is green in color but I wanted something a little different.  In processing the image, I changed the RAW white balance to Tungsten to achieve the blue color.  I'm very happy with the composition of the picture and the difference in the color and white balance.  Being able to tweak the white balance is a major reason why I only shoot in RAW.  It just gives better results.

This second picture was made at the tip of Virginia avenue and was also made in downtown Indianapolis.  I was at the location hoping for some bus traffic to pass by, but they weren't running so late on the weekends. I'll have to visit this location again during the week for some bus trails.  This shot was done with a 64 second exposure and at ISO 100.

In the end, it was a good time getting out last night with my coworker to do some night time shooting in Indianapolis.  He had a good time and learned a lot about manual mode and about shooting long exposures. He is definitely eager to learn more and wants to go out again and soon.  The next step for him is to get a better pc and to acquire Photoshop Elements or Lightroom 4.  I have both programs and would be lost without them in processing my pictures.

Happy Easter everyone!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment