Saturday, October 8, 2011

Of hamburgers, bleu cheese and that wonderful smell of cooked meat

I finally had a chance to return to the Red Lion in Fountain Square. I was there with a couple of coworkers for the return of our "nutrition group discussion" meetings, that being an excuse to go out and try new (to us at least) restaurants in the downtown Indy area.  We used to go out more frequently, but increased workloads and telecommuting have hurt our gatherings.

My girlfriend introduced me to the Red Lion and I am so glad she took me to the restaurant a few months ago.  The first thing I always notice is the wonderful smell of meat being cooked over a fire as soon as I walk in the door.  This being a lunch crowd, surprisingly it wasn't too crowded, which made me happy.  I don't like having to waste my lunch hour on a long wait to get a table, do you?

Lately, I have had a craving for bleu cheese on my cheeseburger and today wasn't an exception.  I ordered their blue cheese burger and had tater tots on the side.  Yep, no fries, just tots (was in a Napoleon Dynamite mood, I suppose).  The burger was tasty and came with some very good bleu cheese.  I prefer the crumbled bleu cheese, but the Red Lion had some type of spread.  It was still good and had that nice tart bite which I really enjoy on hamburgers.  The tater tots were as good as I expected.

My coworkers ordered the grilled cheese and a chicken wrap and both of them were happy with their lunch.  They had enough food to take home. All of us were craving something sweet for dessert and we all ended up getting an elephant ear to take back to work. Yep, an elephant ear and it wasn't from a fair.  I couldn't wait to tear into my dessert and started on it after I returned to work.  Fortunately it was still warm and was very sweet and yummy.

All in all, the Red Lion is a great place to eat.  The only downside?  I didn't get any beer due to it being a work day.  When you go, try some of the different brews like Upland or Sun King, you won't be disappointed.

Next up, how about lighting steel wool and spinning it? 














No comments:

Post a Comment