Wednesday, September 7, 2011

New Christy Minstrels at Spades Park

After the Innocent Boys finished playing, there was a rather long intermission as the next band, The New Christy Minstrels got ready to play. As they explained during the opening of their show, getting the sound correct for their band isn't an easy thing due to the number of people in their group.

It was a good show and I enjoyed the music, much more than I thought I would.  I recognized several songs and found myself humming along to them as I photographed the band.  I was able to get several good photographs of each member of the band and finally got some of them processed and posted online today. Here are three of them:


This is Dave Henderson, upright bass player for the group.  He also sang a song and played the keyboard while singing.  My setting for this picture were f5.6, ISO 1600 at 1/100th shutter speed.



This is Becky Jo Benson, singer and banjo player for the group.  She was a good person to shoot and I never saw her on stage without a smile.  The settings for this picture are the same as for the above picture.





This is a Greg O'Haver, guitarist for the group.  I enjoyed photographing him and especially catching his fingers on the strings.  He also had a good singing voice.  The setting for this picture are the same, except for the aperture which was set at f5.  He was more in the shadows than the other performers and need a bit more light to see him.

As with the Innocent Boys, the stage lights cast a horrible blue pall on the performers that just didn't look good.  I wanted to post the pictures as I photographed them, but that blue light just bothered me and I played with the white balance in order to get good skin tones for all of the members of both bands.   In previous pictures, I had never changed the white balance as much as I did for the members of these two bands.  My approach has always been to keep everything as close to how I saw it as possible, but not this night.  I'm happy with the white balance decisions I made for both bands.

I'm looking forward to more band/music photography; it is something I am really starting to enjoy.  






No comments:

Post a Comment